For the very latest activity, click here: From a Bare Hull

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

More Forward Salon Floor Hatches

Floor hatches cut, flanged and hinged for a rough fit. We still do not know what the finish will be. I have identified a positive locking flush pull-latch for the hatches. I also have plans for subfloor lighting.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

More Shop Goodies

Less than a couple weeks after we pulled the trigger on the new shop space, the admiral comes home with some new (to us) tools! Cool! These came from a local boat builder's surplus sale.

First up is a new industrial sewing machine. Suitable for upholstery and canvas. Better than the other machine we have (so I am told).

Combination belt/disk sander. Missing a few parts (worth ordering). A $1000 machine when new, purchased for a song.

A funky, almost folk-artsy, handmade welder's vise.

A sliding miter saw (a bit smaller than our current unit).

Also included, but not pictured...
  • jigsaw
  • shop lights
  • steel storage shelving

Yes, much effort is being spent on the new shop space. But work on the boat is still ongoing (as time allows). More to come.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

New Old Shop: Early Beginnings

As was hinted in the previous post, a new shop is in the works. So far, the main garage has served as a fiberglass/mechanics/wood shop. There is lots of stuff and it has displaced nearly every vehicle that was once stored (we only can fit the one smallest of our motorcycles). Attempts to covert it for finish woodwork has made it even more crowded and messy.

The new shop will be in an existing structure adjacent to our location. It is an old barn, built around 1900, on a full concrete foundation with concrete slab floors. It will provide 350 sq feet of main shop floor with plenty space in the loft for storage. The current idea is the garage will be kept for mechanical projects and the barn will be for woodworking (and perhaps the few remaining glass projects).
Future main shop space
This is not exactly a turnkey project, however. After decades of neglect, the structure needs lots of TLC:
  • roof repairs/replacement, 
  • exterior paint, 
  • landscaping
  • demolition of rotting exterior "lean-to" structures
  • trimming/removal of some overgrown trees
  • installation of a perimeter fence
And before I can even move one piece of equipment inside:
  • interior paint
  • electrical wiring survey
  • upgrade electrical service to include 220V
  • domestic water service
More as it happens...

Monday, February 17, 2014

Back Online... And a Left Turn...

I lost my ageing primary computer workstation last Christmas morning, due to a failing hard drive.Immediately I scrambled to ensure that all of the Westsail project files (Pictures, CAD, CNC Modeling files) were backed up and accessible. Finally, I have the replacement system assembled, online and running. This system is built with all new parts. No more cobbling a system together with old parts from other machines. Furthermore, a newer, faster 64 bit multi-core processor, maximum RAM and multi-terabyte storage should ensure this system will serve the project's needs for a few years.

A Left Turn...

As for the Westsail project, things are happening. Both large and small. Of course progress is never as fast as I want. If anything, the Westsail build has been an education in project management. This year, the Westsail will get less than normal attention due to a new large project coming online. Here is a hint...

While not exactly boat building, this project does ultimately connect with the Westsail. For that I give you three words: "large wood shop."

I am looking forward to being surrounded by lots of right angles for a change.

More on this later...

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Subfloor Lighting

Not quite a disco... but close.

Having to pull up floors, hold a flashlight, and reach in to wrench on things is a perfect recipe for dropping items into the abyss that is the bilge. Now imagine doing that at sea with extra motion to throw you off.

Presenting subfloor lighting using LED strips to aid ones vision when wrenching on such things. A single switch lights up the corners of the engine room and underneath the aft floors. The lighting will help illuminate the engine, steering mechanisms, prop shaft, exhaust bits, shaft seals, etc. The same switch can also change the color of the LEDs.

Aft cabin floors removed. Steering and drive shaft bits.

Engine room. Steering mechanism and (future) engine.

Engine room. Forward bulkhead.

Night vision red.

Night vision red.

Cue the bad 70's disco music...