- glass lower assembly to hull
- insert bearing
- insert cap
- glass cap to lower assembly
Follow This Project On Facebook
Lately I have just not had time to post updates to this blog. I do post activity on this project more frequently on Facebook. If you are interested in whats happening, I encourage you to click 'Like' on the Facebook badge below. Or go to http://www.facebook.com/westsail42/
Posts to this blog will happen infrequently, if at all. The blog will remain accessible for historical purposes.
Saturday, July 28, 2007
Friday, July 27, 2007
Monday, July 16, 2007
- new prop shaft machined
- Aquadrive extension shaft (custom length with CV joints)
- goop up the stern tube with sealant and install permanently
- install shaft seal
- install propeller
Saturday, July 14, 2007
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
- less noise. Since the engine is not bearing the thrust, softer engine mounts can be used, dampening noise and vibration.
- alignment is less critical. With a straight shaft installation, the 300lb+ engine needs to be precisely aligned with the prop shaft otherwise premature failure of the cutless bearing (in the stern tube, supporting the shaft) may result. The Aquadrive uses CV joints between the thrust bearing and the engine. The CV joints are flexible and can allow up to an 8 degree deviation between engine and the thrust bearing.
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Here is a quick update on latest mechanical designs. Placement of most of the major components is done. That is, it has been determined that there should be enough space. Referring to the 3D model...
- orange - sanitation. Both heads will have their own holding tank (20-30 gal each), vacuum generator (for vacu-flush system) and thru-hull discharge. There is even room for a lectra-san (on board sewage treatment) for each head if we so desire (undecided right now).
- purple - Propane cylinders, dive cylinders, dive compressor and A/C. That is a small 7000 btu A/C unit. Not shown in the model is a 16,000 btu unit under the fore dinette settee, serving the main and forward salon. Again, the dive and a/c stuff are optional. We are making room for it should we decide.
- olive - diesel tanks
- dark green - batteries, room for 14 tall golf cart batteries or six 4D batteries.
- dark blue - water tanks, not shown is another water tank under the batteries
Still working on the plumbing runs a bit.