For the very latest activity, click here: From a Bare Hull
Batteries Bilge Bilge Pumps Blog Bow Pulpit Bow Thruster Bulkheads Cabinets Cable Master Canvas Cockpit Construction Coosa Deck Deck Hardware Design Dinette Distributed Power Driveline Electrical Electronics Engine Engine Room Equipment Exterior Fiberglass Finish Work Floors Fuel System Fun Gadgets Galley Hard Dodger Head Heating and Air Conditioning Ice Box Ideas Insulation Interior Keel Lighting Main Salon Mastervolt Masts Materials Mechanical New Technologies Off Topic Paint Panel Philosophy PlasTeak Plumbing Portlights Ramblings Rigging Rudder Sailplan Sails Sanitation Steering Tanks Techniques The Other Boat The Shop Thru-hulls Tick Stick Tools V-Berth Welding Wiring Wood
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Deck Drains and Hawsecleat (stbd) is in!
First the deck drains. This particular area of the deck is where all of the water drains from. It is about a 6 inch wide recess in the deck and is the lowest point. Original factory installations had water draining to the side via one or two modified scuppers such that the flange of the fittings were cut away to be flush down in the recess so all the water could drain and minimize pooling. Now the previous owner had temporary PVC fittings for drains going down from this recess and out the side through a 2 inch hole in the hull. I had been debating wether to go with this style drain or try something more factory original. Well, I decided to install a hawsecleat in this area, which will be used for spring lines while tied at the dock. This decision effectively forced me to stay with the "down and side exit" drains. For the down drain, I used an ABI 316 stainless steel wide mouth deck scupper, which fits perfectly. It includes a screen plate (not shown). After cutting an oval opening in the deck I used thickened epoxy to "flush up" the deck to the top surface of the scupper to reduce corners and crevaces where water might pool and dirt could build up. This was done by troweling in the thickened epoxy and tapping in the scupper, generously sprayed with mold release agent. The fitting acted as a mold and once the epoxy cured, the scupper was tapped out with a hammer to reveal a perfect mate for the scupper. The scupper was then sealed in with sealant and fastened with screws. On the hawsecleat, it was installed similar to the hawsepipes installed in the bow. Here however, the bulwark is even thicker, almost four inches. So with the 3 inch max width for the fitting I had to improvise by "extending" the pipe with a sleeve of expoxy coated coosa which also acted as a backing plate for the external part of the hawsepipe. The position of the hawsecleat on deck is a potential toe-stubber, but it was the best that could be done while keeping clear of the sloped part of the hull just under the caprail. While the deck drain is 1.5 in diameter, I figure, if that is not enough, should the deck get a bunch of water, the hawsecleat can act as a drain too. The picture shows things kind of rough, and they are. The brown thicked epoxy still needs to be faired and the sealant around the drain trimmed. Save that for when I deal with the deck paint. The port side hawsecleat will have to wait as I need to modify my boarding stairs which are in the way.